Friday, February 03, 2006

THE SILK HANDKERCHIEF



It was beautiful that time of year in Paris. The end of summer, just before autumn set in.
The weather couldn't have been more beautiful. Paris is so wonderful, during any season, day or night. My preference however,was during the night. I took a train from Lisbon Portugal to Paris France. I arrived at night. I gathered my bags, found my way to the exit and stepped off the train, breathed in the night air lit up a cigarette and looked around. What I was to see next, took my breath away. It was Notre Dame, at night, lit up in all of it's historical splendor. I had never been to Paris before. After staring at Notre Dame for a long while, I said to myself" This is where I will live." And so I did, for two years. My living quarters at the time was very near to the Arch Du' Triumph, on a quaint little street named Rue Marbeuf. I had only been in Paris for a few weeks then, After spending two or three months in Portugal & Lucern Switzlerland. I was now sure where I would live, Paris!!! I disappeared into the night, with my leather gold emboised monogramed luggage in tow. I contacted the wife of a musician acquaintance, named Michel Colombier. I had become aware of Michel's work in the States. He was an awesome musician, composer and arranger. His wife, Yael occupied a quaint old house which they had bought and refurbished in a wonderful part of Paris. I stayed there for a few nights before finding my little place on Rue Marbeuf, just a few steps from the Champs-Elysee. The funny thing about Michel and Yaels' house was, it had been a famous Brothel at one time in the past, for years. Some of the old clientel not knowing it had changed ownership, still rang the door bell asking for the Madame who had lived there. As I walked here and there in Paris I was overwhelmed by the shear volume of architectural beauty. Everywhere I looked, art was all around me. For that reason alone, I felt I was home. I walked from one end of the Champs- Elysee to the other, many times. All of these images whirled about in my head as I walked. Hitlers occupation of France during WW ll. The French Resistance, the intrigue of that time in history played itself out in my mind, none stop.

I was the proverbial kid in a candy store. One of the other pleasures I thoroughly enjoyed was being able to wear my finest clothing on a daily basis. I wore my silk ascots whenever felt like it. The fashion capital of the world was right up my alley.
People dressed!!.

I also took great pleasure stopping at one of many bistros and outdoor cafes', having a coffee or some wine, watching the French World go by.

16 Comments:

Blogger Neetee said...

Even though I already know a tremendous amount about you - because you are my fabulous brother - It was absolutely fascinating to be able to re-live that wonderful time with you through your words. It was as if I was there with you. and Oh how you paint with words!
Beautifully said.

Love you big brother!

9:55 PM  
Blogger Bighner@gmail.com said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Bighner@gmail.com said...

To my dear Queen Neetee, Hello Darling, Thank you for your kind words. we've always been each others biggest fan. By the way,There is certainly something to be said about nepotism Right? You're
the best.

Love you little Sis!!

10:24 PM

10:27 PM  
Blogger Bighner@gmail.com said...

finnegan- Thank you for your welcome. It's really nice being a part of such diversity. Queen Neete,my sister, tells me you are one of her favorites. I'm sure I'll be visiting your site on a regular basis. You're only a click away. It will be a pleasure to share more true life stories.

Great to know you are a jazz fan and share my feelings about Paris.

I'll try and put some of my audio clips up for the listening.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

bloody hell. the sister is gorgeous and so is the brother. someone lock up my wife QUICK!
welcome to blogging Benard.

3:43 AM  
Blogger floots said...

hi
another member of queen neetee's court
also a jazz fan
looking forward to hearing more of your travels and your music

10:43 AM  
Blogger Bighner@gmail.com said...

Bonjour SilverMoon

Your Franglais is most delightful. you made me laugh. I'm headed over to your site presently. I want to take a gander. I'm sure I'll enjoy what I find. Thanks for your support(fellow artist& ardent jazz fan) Lastly, thank you for the welcome to Blogland

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello there,got here throughyour sisters blog queen neetee !

nice pix from paris and yup really beautiful place as ive been there 3 years ago.

kind regards;
eden

11:22 AM  
Blogger Bighner@gmail.com said...

Eden

Hello there to you to. Thanks for dropping by. What a wonderful bunch of Photo's on your site. I could feel the cold from the outdoor shots. I've only been to Canada once,a long time ago.I did a concert with the late Great Dizzy Gillespie at a place called "The Colonial Tavern" in Toronto, during the winter. It was the coldest I've ever been.

I will be visiting your site to learn more about you.

Best Regards

1:13 PM  
Blogger Bighner@gmail.com said...

cocaine jesus

Thank you for the kind words.I'm flattered. Also,thank you for welcoming me to the Blogging community

2:09 PM  
Blogger Bighner@gmail.com said...

Floots

Yes, it is true. I have become another member of Queen Neetee's court. For sure,you will be hearing more of my travel stories and music. Glad to know you are a jazz fan

2:16 PM  
Blogger . said...

hey,
nice to read your adventures in paris. that's a wonderful city. no doubts about it.
i've noticed that you've also been in lisbon. how was your experience here? lisbon can be a bit rough if you don't know the right crowd, but it can be heaven (even nicer than paris) if you're lucky or if you know where to hang out.
if you came back someday, say something. i'll be more than happy to show you some cool places.

greetings from lisbon,

jose luis shakespeare

2:40 PM  
Blogger Elena Horowitz-Brookes said...

Benard,I am another fan of your sisters writing. I've only started blogging recently myself. It's a world of virtual adventure. I really enjoyed reading about your true adventures in Paris. Looking forward to more and hearing your music.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Dolores said...

Yep, I found the LP and I'm glad! I thought it was lost forever. There it was tucked away in a safe place. Happy to know where you are these days... "Everything Must Change" reminds me of NYC in the late 70s, a happy time (Ah Youth!). I'll be in Chateauroux for a festival, this Fall just South of Paris and will roll into the city of lights hopefully to see its wonders. I do love France, what I can remember of it.

Benard, the best to you and your artistry.

Organizer,
The Los Angeles Jazz Meetup
The Los Angeles Cabaret Meetup
meetup.com

myspace.com/dolorespetersen

12:09 AM  
Blogger Rick said...

Years after I met listened to you brillent album, Little Dreamer, I met in at a jazz club in Los Angeles, in the 70's, I lost your album and have continued to look for a replacement album to no avail. Last week, in Hollywood, CA, I had a music collector find it for me. It's still beautiful, thanks you.
Do you have any other compilations, albums or CDs?

Rick Aldridge
562 593-4928
Los Angeles, CA
rick.e.aldrige@boeing.com

12:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Benard, glad to see/hear about you and your adventures of recent years. I last saw you perform a long time ago at Birdland West in Long Beach. Still remember your musical grace and style. I pull out your "Little Dreamer" album on occasion for a bit of inspiration in this crazy world. I now have two copies, just in case one is damaged.

Again, it's good to hear about you.

Roy Sulton
Now of Sarasota, Florida
roysulton@mac.com

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home